08 January 2007

Translating

I didn't imagine before that translating my mathematics material in English to Indonesian is very hard. Moreover some terms in mathematics in fact are translated pretty differently. For instance, the theorem "adjacent angles on a straight line sum to 180 degrees" is commonly known in Indonesian as "sudut-sudut berpelurus berjumlah 180 derajat" or just "sudut berpelurus" instead of "sudut-sudut bersisian yang membentuk garis lurus berjumlah 180 derajat". And indeed the word-by-word translation sounds weird. Well, actually the main problem is I sort of forget these theorems in Indonesian sentences :((. I pretty much understand them though and am able to create the instructional in English, but in Indonesian.

What I've done is write them up in English and then translate them in Indonesian because I need to discuss them with my supervisor whou does speak English. After all discussion done and the designs are approved, I translate them in Indonesian. Badly, I've got a bad mood because I need to recall the Indonesian terms. Less fortunate, I don't get any Indonesian math books with me in Australia. More less fortunate, the internet dosn't provide enough resource that I need. And the worst, only 5 days remaining to finish all up (about 100 math problems plus 50 working examples and all with coloured sketch). What a bloody thesis!

No comments: