04 July 2006

Seriously, education

.
I took Sarjana Pendidikan Matematika (Bachelor of Education specification in Mathematics) at Universitas Negeri Yogyakarta for my undergraduate program. Now, I am studying education again at School of Education, UNSW for my master degree. My study is narrowed to instructional learning designing. I prefer to concerning with cognitivism since it discusses intensively how our brain cognitively works while learning. It is absolutely exciting, if you believe me!
.
In my passion, learning about how people learn and conducting teaching mathematics are always fascinating. I am used to assisting friends or students learning mathematics and I feel satisfy if I can lead them understand it. This is certainly one of my reasons why I choose education subject.
.
In fact, education is not a favorite study compared with commerce, engineering, computer, medicine and law. It is true that this subject is an old fashion, incrementally developed and less money. Some people say it is a second level major or whatever. But, let see... Commonly, people who is granted bachelor of education degree will be a teacher or working as a part of education system. They are definitely determining the quality of education. One teacher should be the first people who introduce knowledge to a class of students. The taught knowledge might be inspiring students thus they grow as engineers, doctors, accountants etc. I personally state that I am very offended if someone says that studying education or being a teacher is a stupid, backward, unimportant, embarrassing and so on. I am also much seriously disappointed if government does not give priority to education development, teacher wealthy and educational research grants.

2 comments:

Irfan said...

i'm wondering... when's our goverment actually going to raise teacher's salary? i thought our MPR already made a decision that the state must allocate around 20% of the budget for education, is that not true? to what degree has the government already try to realise this?

to be honest, many lecturers at my school here in UNSW can't teach very well... i'm not expecting too much, but some of my friends looked a bit dissapointed.

Endah Retnowati said...

I'm wondering as well... :(

Lecturer vs teacher... kalo menurutku sih mereka tuh dilahirkan berbeda meskipun kerjaannya sepertinya sama-sama di kelas berhadapan dg students. Kalo guru ga perlu menjadi ahli dalam bidang A utk mengajar A tapi dia diharapkan superior mendesain pembelajaran dalam "mengajarkan" A sdmkn rp shg murid dpt bekal utk memperdalam A itu sendiri. Sedangkan dosen haruslah ahli dalam suatu bidang X tapi gak perlu ahli dalam bidang mengajarkan X. Dosen keknya lbh diharapkan dpt mengembangkan ilmu X itu "dengan" mahasiswa deh. Mungkin yg banyak diharapkan guru/dosen yg ahli dalam content dan metode mengajar sekaligus. Mas Irfan nih calonnya.... :)