05 December 2007

Constipation

My baby and I just learned "constipation". Well, it is common on babies who start solid, however, I think it is something that can be avoided.

Why constipation occurs? I suggest you to ask more knowledgeable person in this case such as your doctor or there are plenty resources in the internet about this. As far as I know, baby's tummy needs some time to adjust with new food, which is solid in consistency, as they are only fed with milk which is fluid for a particular time.

After it happened on my baby in the last four days, I learned that it can actually be avoided, at least not repeated. I gave my baby the same kind of solid for several days, expert says that it is to notice whether the baby has allergy or not. I bought the food at the store, I chose the organic one. I grab almost every kind of fruits and vegetables because I want him to learn many tastes and enjoy the richness of this world. I notice that some fruit/vege purees, even though for the same stage of age, have different water level. Carrot, apple, fruit and other single ingredient are mostly watery, but some with combination like apple+banana, apple+milk=apple custard, pumpkin+corn, sweet potato+wild rice are less watery or a bit stickier. At the first stage giving solid, I gave the single one, carrot is his fave, and it went okay. I tried sweet potato+wild rice, then, he got constipation. I think, it was due the food less watery, stickier and heavy in carbohydrate, indeed. I concluded that it is not a good idea giving solid like this for starter, even though it is very smooth bought at store, certified and so on. We learned.

To relief the constipation, I got advices from midwife and friends. As long as the tummy looks usual, not hard and still passing winds which is meant still has bowel movement, baby doesn't need to see doctor, but until a considerable period of constipation seeing a doctor is recommended. Considerable period is like this. Some babies poo three times a day, so three days constipation is concerned, but some babies poo three times a week so a week constipation needs serious follow up. Not sure which one was the successor, here what I applied:
  1. Stay calm, stay make him happy - find as many information as possible
  2. Give more fluid which is milk
  3. Warm his tummy by rubbing eucalyptus oil or minyak telon
  4. Bicycle his leg (pull and push gently like bicycling) at playing time
  5. Hold his foot, push and fold gently until touching his tummy, push carefully then straigthen and repeat three times, stop, repeat again in a few minutes
  6. Jump him up with fun
  7. Still give solid/food as usual but more watery one
  8. His poo is usually two-three times a day, so three day constipation is concerning and up this time, give prune juice. Simply boil 2 glass of cold water and 100 grams pitted prune (no sugar) and cool. Give him about 2-3 tablespoons - three times a day - but I gave him once only before he passed his back. finally... What a happy mama...
Constipation is common, reasonable, relivable and avoidable. An extra love is worthy giving during this period and it will remain a rewarding experience.

No comments: