06 December 2007

Mothers Group

Today was supposed to be the last day of our monthly-get-together over the year. Mothers group is other women group beside Pengajian Akhwat that I have in Sydney during my masters’ candidature.

This is a group ran by a social worker under Randwick City Council which is currently driven by Tante Yanti (50+), an Indonesian mother who already gave her citizenship up to Australian long time ago. Citizenship doesn’t a matter here, indeed, most of the member of the group are permanently living in Sydney and the surrounded suburbs. The prominent thing is that we are all mothers and have Indonesian blood, regardless the ethnic or religion.

Tante Yanti is my hero, sincerely. She found me in the Royal hospital for Women when I was lonely sitting in the waiting room for an antenatal visit. She certainly easily got my Javanese looks there and came to me with her motherly advices. She invited me to this mothers group and I felt in love with this group at my first attendance. Just for noting, she drove me to the place at the first time and helped me so much caring of my baby.

This group is really different. To be honest, I do not really like grouping with people for example I hardly come along with students group as I ought to go with them as I am a student (this is too bad actually), neither now nor in the past. There is fun either for my baby, Ahnaf or I. We meet other babies, toddlers and mothers. We talk about healthiness, family, children, toys, food and anything. Occasionally, we have fun games and gifts to share. Three hours is never enough for us.

The people that make this different, I think. Most of us have the same faith as a new mother or young family and are away from extended family. Event though most of them have chose living permanently in Australia, it might not be stated, but I feel like they still want Indonesian tradition that is kumpul-kumpul and makan bersama. You know, groups run by Aussie usually do not provide meal for lunch, yeah… there are tea or coffee and some biscuits, but our groups always have complete menu then we sit on the floor eating together and chatting.

The friendship is very valuable. Something that will I keep firmly in my journey notes. Something that will I tell to my son, Ahnaf. I don’t have our picture yet, but I will have it someday for sure.

No comments: