13 December 2007

Kue Lapis Pandan

This blog isn't supposed to be a kind of kitchen's blog but I have been posting some recipes I tried to show you that cooking is a way to love my days, to bring cheerfulness for my family and to take aside any thesis complication in my head. ^_^

I made kue lapis pandan this dawn, in between study time. This is a traditional cake from Indonesia, I knew it since I was little girl. There are a lot of recipe of this cake in the internet. This is my first trial and I rated it five stars.

It's worth to note, my steamer has 8 inch diameter and I don't have any pan that fit to it. I decided to use plastic box that suitable for microwave. I thought, if the box can be heated in microwave so it should be fine in the steamer. And it worked well.

Here is my recipe:
  1. Shift 3 cups of rice flour and 1,5 cups tapioca flour in a large bowl.
  2. Moderately heat 6 cups of coconut cream (I used a 400ml can of coconut cream plus cold water), 1,5 cups white sugar, a tsp salt and a pandan leave. Stir occasionally until sugar dissolved. Set aside until luke warm.
  3. Prepare the steamer, wrap the lid with napkin clothes. Put a pan/mould in. Don't forget to grease the base with a bit cooking oil.
  4. Pour (2) to (1), combine finely. Strain to get a perfect mixture.
  5. Divided into two part. Colour one of them with a few drops of pandan pasta until bright green. Because I wanted it greenish, I took 2/3 of it for the green part.
  6. Make the first layer by pouring in the mould, roughly a half cup of the green mixture. The layer would be about a half cm thick. Steam 10 minutes. I'll look firm.
  7. Make the second layer, still green part, steam 5 minutes.
  8. Make the third layer, turn to the white part, steam 5 minutes.
  9. Continue with next layer green-green-white. Finally, steam 20 minutes.
Because I used a 750 ml microwavable rectangular plastic container, I repeated until three times to finish the entire cake mixture. Fyuh... about two hours spent. I learned why this cake is worthy even though the ingredient is very cheap. Yes, because of the patience in making the layers. My hubby loved it. Can't wait to make again when Ahnaf is ready to eat this solid food.

No comments: